MANITOBA SUMMER GAMES –RECRUITMENT INFORMATION
- Dauphin, MB
- August 9-15 (swimming is in phase 1 of the games, August 9-12)
- Competition is on August 10-11
- August 9 and 12 are travel days
- As part of phase 1, athletes will take part in Opening Ceremonies
What is it:
- Multi-sport provincial wide competition between the various regions of Manitoba. It’s kind of like a mini-olympics for youth with opening/closing ceremonies, Athlete Villages, etc.
Who is eligible:
- Two Age Categories
- Junior born in 2008-2009 under 13
- Senior born in 2006-2007 Under 15
- There are NO QUALIFYING STANDARDS
- Excluded from games are swimmers who have participated for a PROVINCIAL TEAM, ie. Prospects West, Canada Summer Games OR qualified for Easterns/Westerns.
- I believe Creighton athletes are eligible as they are registered with MB PSO
- Swimming Technical Package: https://1642d1a6-11c2-49a2-ba0b-8a32032c75bd.filesusr.com/ugd/b52a17_76daa78a623941a5a39c924d9057e967.pdf
- MBSG Eligibility Rules: https://www.sportmanitoba.ca/manitoba-games/about/eligibility/
- Selection based on a) declaration of eligibility, and b) Highest FINA point score in an individual event. Swim Manitoba will select the NORMAN Team from the pool of athletes who declared themselves as eligible by registering on-line based on FINA PT SCORES.
- As we have such a small pool of age eligible swimmers in the Northern Region, it is highly likely, that any swimmer who wants to attend the games, will be selected.
- Total of 20 swimmers: 5 Junior male, 5 Junior female, 5 Senior Male, 5 Junior female
- First step is to register on-line and declare eligibility for selection for the games **Date T.B.D***
- Full info at: https://www.sportmanitoba.ca/manitoba-games/about/eligibility/
- Estimate of $200 based on previous years for a one phase athlete this is set by the Manitoba Games Committee, subject to change/confirmation (this is paid once final team selection is made)
- Team Selection will be announced by Swim Manitoba June 27, 2020 (possibly sooner)
A couple important notes
- This is a team travel meet. From August 9 -12, athletes travel from respective towns to the games in Dauphin, and remain with the team throughout the phase until their return to their hometown.
- Athletes check into Athletes village/dormitories (a school) and remain together with the team throughout the games.
- There is a male and female athletes village (dorm style accommodation in classrooms)
- Swimmers are chaperoned by Team Coaches and Team Manager throughout the games.
- Swimmers must be independent and mature enough to handle 3-4 days away from home with minimal contact with parents.
- Athletes do get NorMan equipment/gear kit of both deck clothes and walk-about clothes (not to sure what it entails at this point, (usually a jacket, shirt, baseball cap, bathing cap, etc.) will confirm in the coming months
- 2 days with heats and finals
- Day 1: 100 back , 50 Breast, 100 Fly, 50 Free, 100 IM, and 400medley Relay in heats and finals
- Day 2: 100 Breast, 50 Back, 100 Free, 50 Fly, 200IM, and 400m Free Relay in heats and finals
- Games are a fun experience!
- Games are an introduction and hopefully stepping stone to other games, such as: Western Canada Games, Canada Games, etc.
- Let me know if you’re swimmer is interested, so I can be sure to keep you in the loop!
Links and Contact Info:
- Link to register to declare yourself as eligible for selection:
- Link to Manitoba Summer Games 2020 official site:
- Link to Swim Manitoba Summer Games Technical Information: